Monday, February 13, 2006

Tough Times!

The period of the year that I like to call the winter of my discontent period has started. While I have been weened off of football slowly, I am beginning to go through withdrawl. In the past I have tried to substitute the Arena League but it's just not the same. It is like trying too substitute trail mix for M&M's. While trail mix is okay some of the time M&M's are awsome all of the time. I am a traditionalist when it comes to my sports. While the AFL, CFL, and XFL have and have had there place in the sports marketplace, there is no substitute for the real thing. There is no substitute for gameday in the South. The tailgating, frat boys in ties, travel bottles of Jack and Jim, the sense of community at a game, rivalries, the cheerleaders and bands, the color, and the smell of the grills in the parking lot. You can't find this anywhere else. Baseball doesn't have this, basketball doesn't have this and hockey will never have this.

There is no substitute for the physical ballet that is the NFL. While basketball has the dunk it will never have the beauty of a hand handed catch by Brandon Loyd, Barry Sanders ability to stop on a dime and change directions, watching Roy Williams hit someone, or watching Michael Vick, aka Ron Mexico, break one for a TD. There is no substitute for these types of experiences. With that said I guess I will be catching up on some reading but only after the Memphis Tigers basketball season is over.

No comments: