Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Super Bowl, Do Fans Care?

Before I start this post I want to say that I hate all of the commentary about the Super Bowl commercials. I have heard almost as much about the commercials than I have about the actual game, with the outcome being talked about ad nassium. It is everywhere CNN, CBS, NBC, and ABC. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney Channel didn't have pundents discussing the Super Bowl ads. Now I would watch Goofy tell us his opinion of the GODaddy.com ad, that would make good tv.

With this said, this year's Super Bowl just doesn't have the excitement that the last 39 have had, maybe it is the fact that it is in Detroit. The media has been trying to create storylines but no matter how much Joey Porter talks it just isn't going to happen. The Seahawks and the Steelers, a little boring to the average fan and I doubt these teams deserve the hype that they have been given. Or in the Seahawks case maybe not enough. I can't remember a team that has been given less hype than the Seahawks. People think that the because that Jerome Bettis is playing in his hometown, the Steelers will win. What a lame storyline! This has been the drama of this years Super Bowl, The Bus being sent to the scrap heap in Detroit. I don't care how many times the media pushes this people don't care. He might be the 5th best running back in the NFL history, he hasn't had the national following that the other 4 have had. Emmitt, Payton, Jim Brown, or even Curtis Martin. These guys played in the Super Bowl earlier in their careers and were afforded the luxury of building upon their reputations over a longer period while it has taken Bettis till potentially his last game to get to this stage. Some people might say that this creates a greater storyline line but he is not the player that he once was. Now you could say this if he rushes for 3 td's and 200 yards but the likelyhood of that happening is pretty slim.

As to who I am rooting for today I am going with the Seahawks because they are the NFC representative and because they are the underdog but I am doing this because I feel I should root for one of these teams.

By the way that is the worst National Anthem I have heard since Carl Lewis. Shame on you NFL.

No comments: