Monday, January 16, 2006

Who will the NFL be rooting for?

This question is a good one considering that the NFL needs the Steelers and the Seahawks to play in the Super Bowl. Why? They will need viewers in order to maintain the ad rate that they are currently receiving. The Steelers bring a large national fan base, something the other three don't have. What Seattle has is a marketable player in Shawn Alexander, The NFL MVP. While the Broncos have a following it is nothing compared to what the Steelers. The Panthers have been to the Super Bowl but they do not have the national following or the appeal for the novice fan who watches the NFL sporadically. This year's game while not reach the numbers of previous decades or even come close to Super Bowl XXX, when the Cowboys beat the Steelers.

What will be sad is if the commercials outshine the play on the feild and the NFL cannot afford that because viewers while tune out and the broadcast will lose out. We can't have the game that we did last year but we can only hope that we don't return to the days of the massive blowouts.

What happened to Indy? Up until yesterday I thought I had seen both of Peyton Manning's tank jobs, the 2000 divisional and 1996 game against Memphis but yesterday he just flat out did not show up niether did Marvin Harrison. I hated Peyton in college but love to watch in the NFL and I kind of felt sorry for him until he began to blaim his line. While it was true he should have kept his mouth shut. Oh, I wonder how he feels about that stupid kicker? One name comes to mind Scott Norwood.

So much for the Bears vaunted defense. God, I truly hate Steve Smith and I am not a Bears Fan.

The only joy that I had, watching football, was watching the Redskins lose. As long as I live I will never, and I mean never, root for the Redskins, Yankees, or the UT Volunteers. I don't care if Jesus Christ himself played for these teams, I'd still would root for the opposing team.

No comments: