Monday, June 26, 2006

The Pot calling the Kettle Black

I always find it funny and a little hypocritical that European nations, the majority of the time, turn their nose down at American culture as well as American behavior. Having experienced this several times, I am somewhat amussed that these nation's ills always seem to find thier way out of the closet during the World Cup or any other international sporting event. Look at the behavior of the Hooligans that has taken place during the past couple of weeks. Several European countries police forces, have sent officers to deal with thier country's hooligans. Interpol, International Criminal Police Organization, has a database of hooligan fans, from around Europe. When I was studying in London, I got a behind the scenes tour of Arsenal. Arsenal spent $7 million dollars on a security system to deal with hooligan fans. Well the only team here that would spend that much on a system like this is the Eagles. It has also been revealed, to unknowledgable fans in the States, the major problem that black futbol players are experiencing with racism. While we, as Americans, have our own issues with race; I have never known, in the past 20 years, American fans to begin emitating monkees when a black player entered the game. As I have stated we have our issues with race but we have come a long way in terms of confronting race head on. So I wonder which nation is uncivilized now? Last time I checked thier were no monkees in our stands!

No comments: