Thursday, October 27, 2005

Does Anyone Care?

Yesterday it was announced that Sheryl Swoops was a lesbian. The question that I have is who cares? Honestly why do we need to know this in the first place. I really don't understand why celebrities, in general, want to reveal all of their lifes secrets and thoughts to us, the public. Take Tom Cruise's beliefs on psychology and mental health treatment, anyone with a lick of sense should know that he has an agenda that he is trying to inindate the world with, that being the teachings of the Church of Scientology. I don't care. There are more pertanent issues that people are dealing with than the need of Sheryl Swoops to tell people that she is gay. The thing that bothers me about this is the attention that it is being given in print, the internet, and on ESPN. The only thing that this story accomplishes is it reinforces the stereotype that many people have about female athletes, that the majority of them are gay. You can decide whether this is a pertanant issue but from my point of view: I could care less.

No comments: