Thursday, November 17, 2005

It is time for a change!

Lately I have been seeing commentary on the web on the poor quality of ESPN, and I believe that it is time to slay the dragon that is ESPN. This notion was solidified in my brain when I noticed that they have begun to create events and pawn them off as sports news. What am I talking about exactly? Steve Phillips. Steve Phillips acting as the general manager of the Chicago Cubs during a fake news conference. To me this is akin to Will Ferrell, pretending to be George Bush, talking about foriegn affairs. What does Steve Phillips know about what will happen with the Cubs? Does ESPN believe that there are Chicago fans setting at home waiting to hear what is going to happen in the off season? To me this is ESPN's attempt to create entertainment, and disguise it as real news. It is not bad enough that we have to put up with the "news anchors", and I use this term very losely, shitck but now we have to suffer through this unbarable programing. It they had a true solid competitor we would not be seeing the things that we see on the channel that are currently there. I love that they have college football on all day on saturday and I love the majority of the college basketball coverage but these to, have serious problems. When Dick Vitale is talking, not yelling about, basketball he is tolerable but when he gets into his act it is like watching a clown at the circus. Another issue that I have are the brain dead announcers that have bastardized the English language. If I hear the word trickeration one more time, I will be at the local Wal Mart buying a new TV the next day. How about when they say intercept instead of interception? To me these guys are all trying to be different and they are so uncreative that they copy each other. What happened to the days when it was about the game instead of the announcers. It has taken me two decades to finally agree with Howard Coselland and his criticisms of former athlete sports announcers, i.e. Don Meredith. Lets hope that CBS can upgrade CSTV enough in order to compete with ESPN.

No comments: